The potential benefits of upgrading your vehicle’s safety features are twofold. While your car’s drivers and passengers will benefit from improved physical comfort and security, you might also become eligible for reduced auto insurance rates. Here are some top safety features that can help lower your car insurance premium.
1. Anti-theft devices and vehicle recovery systems are often associated with lower car insurance rates. These features can be added to any vehicle.
2. Automatic seat belts reduce premiums because they help ensure passengers’ safety. Owners of older vehicles can improve safety and possibly get lower insurance rates by installing seat belts with shoulder harnesses.
3. Safety glass and laminated glass also help ensure passenger safety and therefore may lower your insurance premium. Safety glass is designed to shatter into small pieces and laminate glass features a transparent plastic shield behind the windshield’s top layer of glass. However, each of these products has limitations too. Consult with a glass installation professional before making a decision.
4. Anti-lock brakes are standard on most vehicles. They help reduce accident rates by protecting cars from skidding on ice and during sudden stops. Many states require car insurance companies to offer discounted insurance on cars with this feature.
5. Sensing systems help improve a driver’s awareness of the environment. Products such as rear-view cameras and cruise control with obstacle detection are typically associated with lower insurance rates.
In conclusion, a number of safety features can help protect drivers and passengers while decreasing auto insurance expenses. Since the financial benefits of safety features vary among car insurance agencies, you might want to discuss any potential changes with your auto insurance provider before choosing specific safety upgrades.